Okay, so you want to vote but you don’t know where to start?
Breath deeply, time is on your side. Voting begins Jan 21st and runs til Jan 25th.
- This is the main AMS Elections website.
- The are 5 student positions, and a lot more candidates. You’re electing your President and VP’s (Academic, Admin, External, Finance)
- There are also student positions for Board of Governors and Senate (these students will be on boards that actually run UBC – you’ll want good ones) and the Student Legal Fund Society.
- Finally we also have a referendum going on. You can take 5 min to read over the issues. Or take 3 min to read over your student council’s recommendations on how to vote
Where to find out about candidates:
- The basics - your candidates.
- Some candidates have their own websites (ooh fancy) so you’ll want to check those out too. Links are in the bios. You can even email most candidates directly.
- Two student blogs are also covering the Election for our VoterMedia Contest: AMS Confidential & Spilling T
- The Ubyssey also has election coverage.
- Check out a debate or another event and see what’s what in person.
- We also have twitter and facebook set up so rah rah rah.
- Voting is online, we’ll post links next week and you can use your cwl to login.
If you still want more info, don’t worry its the 21st century and Google is your best friend.
Take the 15min it requires to decide who to vote for. It really does matter.
- If you use the upass – it matters
- If you use your med and health plan – it matters
- If you walk by New SUB construction everyday – it matters
- If you pay tuition – guess what then it really does matter.
Don’t forget, you pay for and own the AMS. How you decide to vote, how it ultimately gets run, is up to you.
- Your AMS Webeditor,
Joshua R Beharry