The University and External Relations Committee shall:
- develop and recommend to Council policies and principles that shall serve as the foundation for the Society’s provincial, federal, and municipal lobbying efforts and as the foundation for the Society’s campaigns during provincial, federal, and municipal elections.
- assist the Executive in liaising with the various levels of government, with TransLink, and such local authorities as the UNA and the UEL, and with other student organizations.
- assist the Executive in lobbying the appropriate level of government on issues of interest to students, including but not limited to:
- student loans
- post-secondary education funding
- child care
- student housing
- government policies
- assist in the preparation of briefs, discussion papers, and policy documents with respect to post-secondary education for approval by Council and for submission to the University and to governmental or non-governmental bodies external to the University.
- review the impact of provincial and federal government educational policy.
- assist in liaising with the University’s Board of Governors and with other University bodies, including but not limited to as Treasury, Building Operations, Parking Services, Human Resources, UBC Properties Trust, and the University Counsel’s office.
- advise the Executive Committee and Council on such issues as:
- student financial assistance
- tuition and other fees
- student access issues
- housing issues
- sustainability at the University
- University funding and budgeting
- the University’s relations with its unions.
- advise the Executive Committee and Council on how to communicate information about activities and issues facing the Society to the University and the community at large in a full, succinct and timely manner.
- review policy, planning and implementation processes regarding campus development at the University.
- establish eligibility criteria for U-Pass subsidies from the University’s U-Pass subsidy fund, and develop procedures through which the office of the vice president external will determine which applicants qualify for a subsidy.
- report on its activities at every Council meeting.
- have such other duties as are outlined in the Bylaws or the Code or assigned by Council from time to time.
University and External Relations Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org
Members at Large:
For minutes prior to the current academic year, please contact AMS Archivist Sheldon Goldfarb, SUB 238E, 604.822.9360.