To improve the lives of students at UBC, the AMS offers a variety of subsidies, including a partial ($70) U-Pass subsidy, a full U-Pass subsidy ($140), a SUB Renewal subsidy ($50), and/or an AMS fee subsidy ($91.03), to those AMS members who are experiencing genuine financial hardship. If you are able to demonstrate genuine financial hardship, you may be eligible for one or more of these subsidies. The AMS financial commission administers the Financial Hardship Subsidy Fund to qualified students on a case by case basis.
Note: Before applying for the AMS Financial Hardship Subsidy, check to see if you might qualify for a U-Pass Exemption first. Students must be eligible for the U-Pass to be eligible for the U-Pass subsidy. Only successful applicants will receive notification in the form of a credit on their student financial account, one month after the deadline for submissions.
Conditions of Application
- All subsidy applicants must demonstrate some form of financial hardship in all cases (i.e. show proof of a student loan, private loan, or personal debt).
- Applicants must provide adequate proof for their subsidy claim in all cases.
- U-PASS ONLY: Applicants accepted in Winter Term 1 must reapply to be subsidized in Winter Term 2; all Winter subsidy recipients must reapply for the Summer Term subsidy.
Types of Subsidies
Successful applicants will be awarded either a a partial ($70) U-Pass subsidy, a full U-Pass subsidy ($140), a SUB Renewal subsidy ($50), and/or an AMS fee subsidy ($91.03). To ensure that the Financial Commission is able to accurately assess your application, along with financial hardship, other criteria may be taken into consideration such as family obligations (e.g. single parent, sick parents, medical need, etc.) or other extenuating circumstances.
Please include relevant documentation along with your application and proof of financial hardship.
How to Apply
There are two ways to submit this application:
- In person: You can drop off your application in person to the AMS Executive Office located on the second floor of the SUB (Room 238A).
- Mail: You can mail your application to:
AMS Financial Hardship Subsidy Application
238-6138 SUB Boulevard
Vancouver, BC V6T1Z1
Late or incomplete applications will NOT be considered. The deadlines for the 2013 year are:
- May 29th, 2013 for Summer Term 1
- July 19th for Summer Term 2