AMS Student Nest
Finally realizing they were bursting at the seams of their current home, the student union building, the members of the AMS converged to determine how to solve the problem.
Multiple options were considered, but the choice was easy: the AMS needed a new home and they needed to start from scratch.
That was the beginning of a 7 year process to build UBC’s newest, and arguably most exciting, building: the AMS Student Nest (or Nest).
The AMS Student Nest is to do two things:
- Ensure the centre of campus remains a student-centered hub of activity with a focus on the needs and desires of all students on campus;
- Create a welcoming space for all students to eat, shop, study, and socialize while leading the way in sustainability practices and goals.
- Location: 6133 University Boulevard, Vancouver, BC
- Goal of LEED Platinum Certified (the highest Green Building rating in North America)
- $107 million price tag funded by students, in coordination with UBC
- five storeys
- 250,000 square feet — 50% increase from current building
- Gender-neutral and accessible bathrooms on every floor
- Three-storey climbing wall
- 8 AMS-run food and drink eateries
- 9 AMS Services
Building the Student Nest