A partnership with the AMS Connect Office and Alumni Affairs, the Externship Program offers students the chance to observe professionals in career fields of their interest on the job. Students will experience a professional work environment, daily tasks and responsibilities, as well as ask questions and receive tips from employees in the work place. The program also aims to create a mentorship aspect to the placement. The UBC Alumnus is encouraged to inspire and help the student make necessary connections between an academic career and achieving professional career goals. Externship hopes to enable students to foster personal development and gain knowledge to career options previously not considered. Externships differ from internships in that they are short term placements intended to give students information about career fields.
Students in year 2 and above can apply to the program by following the process outlined below. Placements for the program will take place during Reading Week 2013 (Feb. 18-22nd). Shortlisted applicants will be contacted for an interview to take place in mid January. Successful applicants will be matched with a placement by the Program Coordinators based on their area of interest and objectives.
Benefits of Externships
Externship placements provide students with the opportunity to:
- Gain insight into career fields of interest
- Help identify career goals and options
- Expand professional network
- Experience in the professional work environment
- Make necessary connections between an academic career and a professional career
- Foster personal and professional development
- Receive unique perspectives from an UBC alumnus
The Externship Program application process consists of submitting three documents; all documents must be completed in full in order for your application to be accepted. Please send all three documents as attachments to email@example.com with your full name and “Externship student application” as subject title. Application deadline is Friday January 4th 2013.
- Externship Student Application Form
- The Externship application form can be found on the download box on the top right hand side of this page.
- Please include your most recent resume
- Cover letter
- Tell us your story! Please provide us information about how the Externship program fits and aligns with your goals, both academic and personal.
Questions or comments can be addressed to:
Student Inquires: Tina Liu | AMS Externship Coordinator | firstname.lastname@example.org
Know a UBC Alumni who may be interested in hosting a student?
Alumni/Employer Inquiries: Emma Talbott | Alumni Relations Officer, Students and Young Alumni | email@example.com