|For a Walk|
drop by (operation hours only):
AMS Safewalk Office- Nest 1314
|Hours of Operation|
AMS Nest-Services Wing 3107C
You don’t have to walk alone.
Safewalk is a transportation service that will accompany students, staff and visitors who feel unsafe walking alone, across campus. The primary goal of Safewalk is to allow safe travel from one location to another with a greater sense of security.
We ask you to be mindful of those around you. Safewalk prioritizes helping those who are vulnerable and feel unsafe travelling alone. The service is intended to give safe means of transportation when no other form is available.
If you’d like to use Safewalk within operational hours:
- Please contact us by
— calling us 604-822-5355
–using a UBC Blue Phone and asking for Safewalk
–coming by our office in the Nest (1314, level 1)
- Give your location, destination, contact number, first name and if you are a student: your student number
- We will send you a co-ed team by car or foot to accompany you to your destination
Please note that Safewalk has made several changes to our usage policies to ensure that safety continues to be an absolute priority. Please recognize that we may sometimes not be able to get to you immediately, as well as sometimes we may have to take you on a circuitous route to your destination.
- Safewalk is available to anyone and everyone on campus, including (but not limited to) all students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
- Safewalk callers will now be limited to two transfers per night, with a minimum of 30 minutes between transfer requests. This ensures that Safewalk can serve more people and all clients are given an equal opportunity to utilize the Service.
- Please keep your eyes on your phone until we arrive. This ensures that you won’t miss us, as we will give you a call when we are on our way to give you time to get ready.
- If you change your mind or no longer need the service, please cancel the request right away by calling our dispatch. All clients are given a grace period of 5 minutes from the first time we call. Not showing up to the pickup destination within the grace period, will result in our team moving on to the next client.
- Safewalk reserves the right to deny service to groups of two or more people going to the same location. Due to the sheer volume of calls, we must prioritize those people who are alone first.
- Please don’t wait until the end of the night to call. Generally, we get an influx of calls in the last hour of the night, which leads to longer wait times for everyone. Please plan your night ahead!
Safewalk operates with a non-intervention policy and our staff reserves the right to refuse service if:
- You appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol and cannot care for yourself or consciously consent to a ride.
- There are concerns about the safety of our personnel or equipment.
- You are travelling in a group of 2 or more to the same destination
Please note that as of November 1st 2016, AMS Safewalk will be introducing a new suspension policy:
- Breaking any of our policies stated above will result in one warning.
- Subsequently, three warnings will result in a one-week suspension from utilizing the service.
- One warning after a one-week suspension will result in a suspension from utilizing the service for the remainder of the semester.
Our operating hours are as follows*:
7 Days a Week
*Hours are subject to change to meet demands of call influx, or to adapt to the time of dusk.
Safewalk strives to provide the best experience to its users and welcomes your feedback!
To leave your feedback please click on the Feedback Form.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Q: How long is the wait?
A: Waiting time may vary from night to night. On busier nights waiting time can be up to 45 minutes, but generally you’re looking at 15-20 minutes.
Q: Will there be other people in the car except for Safewalk staff and me?
A: Most likely, yes. Safewalk is there to provide safe means of travel another for many people on campus, so we may be transporting more than one person at a time.
Q: How far out do you go?
A: Safewalk operates anywhere on the UBC Endowment lands, so we will go as far as Blanca street. Please keep in mind, that if you are calling from farther away from the heart of campus, your wait time may be a bit longer just to accommodate for the time it takes to walk or drive to Blanca.
Q: What do I do if Safewalk staff acted inappropriately?
A: All comments, reviews and inquiries can be sent to the Safewalk Coordinator. We take client comments very seriously and will always try to respond in a timely manner.
Q: Will you take me to a party?
A: If you are feeling unsafe getting to a party and have no friends to go with you, that is why we are here. Please keep in mind though, that our drivers have the right to refuse service to anyone who is intoxicated and cannot consent to receiving a ride.
Q: Will you drive me if I am intoxicated?
A: Safewalk does not discriminate, and we aim to help anyone we can. However, employees reserve the right to deny anyone a walk if:
- They feel that the client is unable to care for themselves or consent to a trip.
- The employees or AMS property is at risk of harm.
Q: Can I call for a friend who is intoxicated?
A: If your friend is unable to call for themselves, chances are they will be declined for being unable to care for themselves.
Q: Why won’t you take groups of 2 or more?
A: Safewalk is a non-discriminatory service that prioritizes people who are alone as the most vulnerable. We encourage students to enforce safety in numbers. If you are in a group and cannot call Safewalk, please feel free to ask our Dispatch to set up calling points with you. They will be more than happy to have you call every few minutes to check in so that we know you are safe.
Q: How can I leave my feedback?
A: To leave your feedback on the service Safewalk provides, please fill out our Feedback Form.
In partnership with UBC, Safewalk has installed a total of 28 HUBS on the UBC Vancouver Campus. These hubs are safe, well-lit areas where you can for your team to come meet you! Just call and let us know the HUB name and number!
Find an error with the HUB listings? Want to report a HUB maintenance issue? Click HERE
Alternative means of transportation on Campus
Please see UBC Loop Translink map
– C20 Bus Full schedule
– C18 Bus Full schedule
Other Safety Resources on Campus
If you need assistance outside of Safewalk’s operating hours please contact these people:
- Non-Emergency: 604.822.2222
- Emergency: 911
- Non-Emergency: 604.224.1322