Skip to main content

COVID-19 Dashboard


Your health and well-being is paramount. Visit the sections below to learn more about our response to COVID-19, and ways to seek help if you need it.

Please note this is not an exhaustive list. Things are continually changing and we will do our best to keep this this page updated.

If there is missing or incorrect information on this page please contact

If you have additional questions that aren’t answered on our website, contact the Office of the Vice President, Administration.

Current situation

Latest announcements from the University

Data from the BCCDC (BC Centre for Disease Control)

AMS Response to COVID-19

AMS COVID-19 Overarching Plan

The AMS COVID-19 Overarching Plan provides the overarching framework, guidance and expectations for the department. Individual food service units will have their own site specific COVID-19 Safety Plans in place (see below), which enable them to operate effectively and safely.

Our goal is to ensure that all employees and guests can work and interact together at our locations in a safe, kind and respectful manner.

We will do our part to mitigate the potential spread of COVID-19 inside the Nest by following best practices and the latest regulatory guidance at all times.

Read more about the AMS COVID-19 Overarching Plan.

Additional COVID-19 Safety Plans

We also have COVID-19 Safety Plans in place for the Gallery Patio & Lounge, Storeroom & Commissary Kitchen, Porch, and NEST Catering & Conferences.

AMS Policy I-7A: Mandatory Face Coverings and Other COVID-19 Measures
With the COVID-19 pandemic presenting a formidable health and safety challenge for all, this policy is written with the goal of providing occupants of the AMS Student Nest with a safe and secure environment.


This information is for individuals residing in British Columbia. If you reside outside of BC, consult your local Health Authority for information relevant to you.

Self-Assessment Tool

Getting vaccinated in British Columbia

  • The COVID-19 vaccine not only saves lives but will allow you to get back to the campus you know and love. Getting vaccinated is more than your ticket to protection for yourself and your loved ones, but also your all-access pass to returning to normal life. As students, we all need to do our part to kick COVID-19 to the curb.
  • Click here to register and book an appointment today. The best source of COVID-19 vaccine information is the British Columbia Centre for Disease Control.

Learn more about British Columbia’s COVID-19 Immunization Plan.

Financial support

For constituted AMS Clubs

The Administration team empathizes with the struggles that our AMS Clubs and members have faced financially due to COVID-19, and encourage you to explore these resources.
Clubs Benefit Fund (CBF) AMS
To help mitigate financial pressures exacerbated by the pandemic, clubs will now be able to receive C$10,000 once per fiscal year to cover the cost of one-time club events and projects, which may have been unaffordable with the previous grant limit. More info here.

Up to $10,000 for eligible AMS Clubs.
AMS Clubs Recovery Benefit (AMS CRB) AMS
To support membership and operations during straining times, with a primary focus on getting clubs back up on their feet, by empowering executives with online resources, safety materials, and widening the applicability of the Videoconferencing Grant.
More info to come, December 2021.

Federal and provincial support

Student Loan Interest Suspension Federal
Effective April 2021, the Government of Canada has suspended the accumulation of interest on Canada Student Loans until March 31, 2022. Subject to Parliament approval, the Government of Canada has proposed to extend this measure until March 31, 2023.
Accumulation of interest on Canada Student Loans has been suspended.
Employment Insurance (EI) programFederal
Provides temporary income support to unemployed workers while they look for employment or to upgrade their skills.
Minimum benefit rate is $500 per week in most cases.
Canada Recovery Benefit (CRB) Federal
Provides $500 ($450 after taxes withheld) per week for up to 38 weeks for workers who are not employed or self-employed for reasons related to COVID-19 or have had their income reduced by at least 50% due to COVID-19 and meet all the eligibility criteria.
Payments of $500 per week for up to 38 weeks to eligible individuals.

Mental Health Support

Mental health support

CONTENT WARNING: Mentions of self-harm, suicide.Click here to exit.

The COVID-19 pandemic has put unprecedented amounts of stress on our communities, especially for students. Taking care of your mental health should always come first—here are some places to seek help and support.

Learn more about virtual mental health support during COVID-19.

UBC Counselling Services UBC
If you're feeling persistently stressed, anxious, or sad, you can book a Counselling appointment.
General counselling services
UBC Wellness Centre UBC
Get tips and resources on stress, study tips, or navigating university life.
Support for a healthy mind, body, and spirit.
Here2Talk External
Confidential, free counselling and referral services by app, phone or online chat for all registered post-secondary students. Here2Talk is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
Free counselling and referral services, available 24/7.
Kids Help Phone External
An e-mental health service available 24 hours a day to Canadians aged 5 to 29 who want confidential and anonymous care from professional counsellors.
Mental health service available 24/7 anywhere in Canada
1-800 SUICIDE External
Provides a confidential, 24-7 toll-free crisis line for people who are feeling suicidal, are concerned for someone who might be suicidal, or for emotional support.
Support for those feeling suicidal, available
Healing In Colour External
Provision of a directory list of POC therapists who are aligned with Healing in Colour’s Values.
Act as a connection between POC communities and BIPOC therapists in unconventional healing practices that have been lost or taken.

Academic related situations

UBC Academic Advising
For help with program planning, degree requirements, or if you have questions about your academics.
General help with academic-related situations.
UBC Centre for Accessibility
Facilitates disability-related accommodations and programming initiatives designed to remove barriers for students with disabilities and ongoing medical conditions.
Guidance and accommodations for students with disabilities.

food security

AMS Food Bank AMS
An emergency food relief service for UBC students in need, offering various non-perishable foods, personal hygiene supplies, budgeting tips and information on additional resources in and around Vancouver.
Emergency food relief service for the UBC community.
Greater Vancouver Food Bank External
Providing healthy food to those in need.
Food support for the Vancouver community.
Vancouver COVID-19 Emergency Meals Map External
A tool to community members and partners for locating community food assets that is current, easy to use and easily updated.
Locate community food assets.
UBC Food and Nutrition UBC
General information related to eating well on a budget, learning to cook, time-saving tips, eating and stress, peer support, and more.
General information for healthy eating.

sexual violence support

CONTENT WARNING: Mentions of sexual violence, gender-based violence, and abuse. Click here to exit.

The COVID-19 pandemic has kept us in our homes for extensive periods of time, and for some this has led to increased incidents of violence and assault. If you have experienced this, we encourage you to reach out for help through these resources below.

AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC) AMS
An AMS-run service that educates, supports, and empowers people of all genders who have experienced sexual violence, as well as their friends and family. The SASC provides free and confidential services to UBC students, staff, faculty, and those connected to the UBC Vancouver campus community.
Free and confidential sexual violence support. Run by the AMS.
UBC Sexual Violence Prevention and Response Office (SVPRO) UBC
A UBC-run office that provides a safe and confidential place for students, faculty, staff who have experienced sexual violence, regardless of where or when it took place. This includes any attempt or act of a sexual nature without your consent. All gender identities, expressions and sexualities are welcome.
Free and confidential sexual violence support. Run by UBC.
Additional Support from the Provincial Government External
Support related to gender-based violence, sexual assault, and domestic violence.
Resources for gender-based violence.

Indigenous and International Students

Indigenous Peoples

Learn how the Government of Canada is supporting First Nations and Inuit communities in preparing for, monitoring and responding to COVID-19.

Hope for Wellness Help Line External
Available to all Indigenous peoples across Canada who need immediate crisis intervention. Experienced and culturally sensitive helpline counsellors can help if you want to talk or are distressed.
Mental health support for Indigenous peoples.
Resources from the Canadian Red Cross External
Various resources for Indigenous youth including tips and tools for self-care, keeping in touch, staying safe online, and helping friends.
Various resources for Indigenous youth during COVID-19.
We Matter External
A place to help Indigenous youth get through hard times, whether you need support yourself or want to support someone you know.
Support for Inidgenous youth during challenging times.

International Students

International Student Advising Student Guide + FAQs UBC
This is UBC’s most up-to-date version of information by International Student Advising.
UBC-specific resources on options for International students.
General Information for International Students Federal
Information is constantly being updated. Click this link for the most recent and relevant information related to travel exemptions and restrictions, quarantine, study permits, and borders.
Information relevant to international students planning to enter Canada.

BC's Restart plan

BC’s Restart is a careful, four-step plan to bring B.C. back together. The AMS is excited to follow the lead of the Health Authorities to help us move forward safely.

Learn more about British Columbia’s Restart Plan.

Understanding the Plan