AMS Coronavirus (COVID-19) Update, March 16, 2020
On March 16, 2020 UBC announced remote work arrangements for faculty, staff, graduate students, post doctoral fellows, and student employees during the COVID-19 outbreak.
In support of this announcement and recommended social distancing protocols the Nest will be closed for four weeks starting 4:00pm March 17, 2020 until April 14, 2020. AMS offices will also be closed from March 17, 2020 until April 14, 2020.
The duration of this closure will be reviewed regularly and may change based on new information regarding COVID-19.
The health and safety of students, staff and the UBC community is our top priority. We recognize this closure will impact students who frequent the Nest but believe this is the right step to help slow the spread of the disease.
Clubs and Events
- All events scheduled in the Nest during the closure will be postponed or cancelled.
- Clubs who have items in their offices or lockers are asked to get them before 4:00pm on March 17, in particular perishable food items. After March 17 Clubs will not have access to their offices or lockers until the building reopens.
- During the closure club reimbursements will be done through Electronic Funds Transfer. Complete the form and email it to AMS VP of Finance at VPfinance@ams.ubc.ca
AMS Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC)
- The SASC is committed to continuing to support survivors by being on-call for crisis support and offering scheduled appointments over the phone for the next few weeks. We are working with our partners at the BC Women’s Hospital to determine if there may be service interruptions to the Sexual Assault Services at UBC’s Urgent Care Centre. In the meantime, please continue to call the SASC if you are interested in accessing the Sexual Assault Services and hospital accompaniment.
- To access on-call support or phone appointments please call us at 604-827-5180 or email email@example.com. We will continue to be available Monday-Friday from 8am-10pm and Saturday & Sunday 11am-7pm.
- The SASC’s in-person services and events will be temporarily suspended during the Nest Closure.
- The AMS Foodbank is committed to supporting students, staff, and faculty during the NEST closure with limited hours. The Foodbank, located in the basement of the LIFE building will be open on Mondays from 10 am – 2 pm, and on Thursdays from 2 pm – 6 pm, as long as the UBC LIFE building remains open and operational. Unfortunately we will not be able to accommodate foodbank clients outside these hours during this time.
- Please note that our stock of perishable and non-perishable items may be in low supply, as we depend on availability of items at supermarkets, and donations.
- In-person group tutoring at the NEST will be suspended until further notice. We will provide an update regarding our tutoring in residence program as we confirm details with our partners at SHHS. The AMS Tutoring team are currently working with our partners, Nimbus Tutoring, to explore continued support to students (for both private and group tutoring) online. We expect to have more information for students in the next couple of weeks as we work to adjust moving our tutoring program on to online platforms. We will update the undergraduate UBC student community on our AMS Services Facebook page soon.
- AMS Advocacy will continue to provide confidential and effective guidance to students who are in formal conflicts with the university during this time. The AMS Advocate will be available online, with in-person consultations suspended. Please reach out to Angus Shaw, the AMS Advocate by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Following the advice from public health officials advising social distancing, and limited interactions, we have taken the difficult decision to suspend the Safewalk program until further notice. We advise folks to contact UBC Security 604-822-2222, especially if you are walking at night alone. Consider walking in groups, or have a friend that can call you in 5-10 minutes’ intervals to check in with you. If you experience an emergency, please call 911.
AMS Speakeasy & Vice
- In response to the recent developments with COVID-19, Speakeasy & Vice will be closed until further notice. Please refer to the following resources for Support:
Confidential, non-judgmental, free emotional support for people experiencing feelings of distress or despair. Available 24/7 and in over 140 languages.
Greater Vancouver: 604-872-3311
- Student Health Services
2211 Wesbrook Mall
Vancouver, BC V6T 2A1
- AMS Entrepreneurship Hub will be suspending in-person and appointments at the AMS NEST until further notice. The AMS e-HUB coordinator is still available to support groups by email at email@example.com.