Simple Recipes with Vishwa – Beef Stew
Exams have ended and the school year is officially over! Kickback and relax by cooking yourself a healthy and delicious meal. This week, Chef De Cuisine Vishwa Mohan will be teaching us how to make beef stew with simple ingredients you can find at home.
You can also email him for any cooking & recipe related questions at ChefdeCuisine@ams.ubc.ca.
Watch now to learn how YOU can use simple ingredients in your kitchen to create beef stew!
- 1 kg Beef, diced (any inexpensive cut)
- 2 each Medium size carrot
- 4 each Celery stick
- 1 each large yellow onion
- 1 tin Tomato paste
- 2 each Bay leaves
- 4 cloves Whole Garlic
- To taste Salt and pepper
- To sear Cooking oil
- 120 ml Red Wine (optional)
Beef broth, Chicken broth, Thyme, rosemary, parsley, beer, tomatoes, mushroom, asparagus, potatoes etc.
- Dice beef, dice carrot, celery, and onion in medium to large pieces.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a pan, sear the beef till golden from all sides. Remove beef from pan.
- Using same pan, caramelize the vegetables and garlic.
- Add tomato paste to the vegetables and cook for 2 min.
- Add optional red wine or beer to deglaze and cook for another 2 min.
- Transfer all the ingredients to a larger pot, mix, add optional ingredients, and season.
- Simmer on medium low heat for 2 hours. If you’re using a slow cooker cook on low for 8 hours. If you’re using a manual pressure cooker cook for 6 whistles.
- When the beef is soft, add the optional thyme, rosemary and/or parsley, adjust the seasoning and cook to desired consistency of the gravy.