The AMS Food Bank is an emergency food relief service for UBC students in need. We offer various non-perishable foods, personal hygiene supplies, budgeting tips and information on additional resources in and around Vancouver. We receive supplies from a number of generous sponsors, but otherwise rely on donations from students and staff to stock the food bank. We go by the motto of: give when you can, take when you need.
COVID-19 Update - April 2nd
To ensure that we are keeping our staff and clients as safe as possible, the AMS Food Bank will be adjusting its operating procedure to the following:
- The AMS Food Bank and Life Building will now be inaccessible to clients. Those wishing to access our Services should arrive at door nearest to the Bike Kitchen, on the southwest side of the building, and call 604-822-2371 to let the Food Bank team know that you have arrived. This door does not have an accessibility ramp, so for those with different accessibility needs or having trouble finding the door, please call a few minutes before arriving so we can help.
- Food Bank staff will provide a bag of supplies to clients, pre-filled with a number of standardized items.
- To help make up for less supplies being available, $10 grocery gifts cards will be given to individuals (2x$10 for families).
- We will aim to continue to operate during our reduced hours of 10 AM – 2 PM on Mondays, and 1 PM – 5 PM on Thursdays. Unfortunately we will not be able to accommodate Food Bank clients outside these hours during this time.
- Please note that our stock of perishable and non-perishable items may be in low supply, as we depend on availability of items at supermarkets, and donations.
Donating to the Food Bank
The success of the AMS Food bank is primarily dependent on donations from the community. We accept any non-perishable items, but there are certain items that are needed more than others. Please keep these in mind if you’re deciding what to donate:
- Pasta and pasta sauce
- Frozen food (such as frozen ready meals)
- Canned meat (tuna, chicken, salmon)
- Canned vegetables (peas, corn, chickpeas)
- Canned soup
- Baby products (diapers, formula, baby food)
- Granola bars
- Personal hygiene products
- Milk alternatives
Please no open or damaged food/ dented cans.
To make a donation of the listed items, please visit during office hours or email us to arrange a time for pickup.
Cheques can be made out to: ‘AMS of UBC Vancouver’ for the ‘Attention of AMS Food Bank’.
We now also accept online donations on GoFundMe at the following link: http://gf.me/u/vsd4c8
Thank you for your support!
Using the Food Bank
All current UBC students requiring emergency food relief can use the Food Bank up to six times a term. This policy is in place to ensure that supplies are only used in emergency situations and not for supplementary purposes. Terms run from September – December, January – April and May – August.
On each visit, individual customers receive one bag of groceries, and families receive two bags. New customers receive a complimentary reusable bag on their first visit. Make sure you keep it and bring it back next time you visit to avoid paying $2 for another one!
If our resources are not meeting your needs, our staff will provide referrals to other Lower Mainland food banks and sources of financial assistance. We operate on a trust-based system and will not turn any UBC student away.