The AMS Food Bank is an emergency food relief service for UBC students in need. We offer various non-perishable foods, personal hygiene supplies, budgeting tips and information on additional resources in and around Vancouver. We receive supplies from a number of generous sponsors, but otherwise rely on donations from students and staff to stock the food bank. We go by the motto of: give when you can, take when you need.
To ensure that we are keeping our staff and clients as safe as possible, the AMS Food Bank will be adjusting its operating procedure to the following:
- The inside of the AMS Food Bank is currently inaccessible to clients. Those wishing to access our Services should line up outside the Food Bank door. If the Life Building is closed, please arrive at door nearest to the Bike Kitchen, on the southwest side of the building, and call 604-822-5627 to let the Food Bank team know that you have arrived. This door does not have an accessibility ramp, so for those with different accessibility needs or having trouble finding the door, please call a few minutes before arriving so we can help.
- Food Bank staff will provide a bag of supplies to clients, pre-filled with a number of standardized items.
- Unfortunately we will not be able to accommodate Food Bank clients outside of our standard hours.
- Please note that our stock of perishable and non-perishable items may be in low supply, as we depend on availability of items at supermarkets, and donations.
Using the Food Bank
As of November 2020, all current UBC students requiring emergency food relief can use the Food Bank up to 16 times per term. This policy is in place to ensure that supplies are available to all those in emergency situations who need it. Terms run from September – December, January – April and May – August.
We operate on a trust-based system and will not turn any UBC student away.
On each visit, individual customers receive one bag of groceries, and families receive two bags. We are not currently using our reusable bags due to COVID-19, so if you’re worried about carrying a lot of canned goods in thin plastic, please bring a reusable bag or stroller!
If our resources are not meeting your needs, our staff will provide referrals to other Lower Mainland food banks and sources of financial assistance.
The Food Bank’s policies and guidelines for sorting and distribution of food items outlines how we determine what food is suitable for food bank client consumption. It can be found here: AMS of UBC Food Bank Food Distribution Guidelines
Volunteer for The Food Bank
The AMS Food Bank is not currently hiring volunteers. Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about any future opportunities, or check out the AMS Volunteer Opportunities page for postings.
Donating to the Food Bank
The success of the AMS Food bank is primarily dependent on donations from the community.
Cheques can be made out to: ‘AMS of UBC Vancouver’ for the ‘Attention of AMS Food Bank’.
We now also accept online donations on GoFundMe at the following link: http://gf.me/u/vsd4c8
For food donations, we accept any non-perishable items, but there are certain items that are needed more than others. Please keep these in mind if you’re deciding what to donate:
- Pasta and pasta sauce
- Frozen food (such as frozen ready meals)
- Canned meat (tuna, chicken, salmon)
- Canned vegetables (peas, corn, mushrooms)
- Canned soup
- Baby products (diapers, formula, baby food)
- Granola bars
- Personal hygiene products
- Milk alternatives
Please no open or damaged food/ dented cans.
To make a donation of the listed items, please visit during office hours or email us to arrange a time for pickup.
Thank you for your support!