AMS Ombudsperson

AMS Ombudsperson

Ombudsperson: Alec Lee

Deputy Ombudsperson: Noah Mossey

(604) 822-4846
NEST 3119
Office hours: By appointment only.

AMS Ombudsperson

If you’re not sure how to approach a problem you’re having with the AMS, the AMS Ombuds can help you.. An Ombuds acts impartially, is independent of every administrative body (including the AMS and UBC), and provides confidential service.

The bread and butter of the Ombuds Office is helping students and AMS staff by providing conflict resolution services including:

  • Conflict management services to AMS clubs and constituencies undergoing internal conflicts
  • Receiving and investigating complaints about the AMS

Internal disputes can be a destructive, frustrating mess, and disputes among leadership teams can tank an organization. The Ombuds Office can help steer conflicts towards a productive, positive direction. As well, they can help you understand one another and reach a resolution that is practical, acceptable, and understood by everyone involved.

Getting Ombuds assistance

The Ombuds Office needs to really understand your situation in order to help you effectively. Please contact the ombudsperon via email or telephone to set up an appointment. You can also drop by the office during opening hours.

Reporting an incident

If you would like to begin a formal investigation, start by submitting the applicable report form.

Other valuable resources

  • If you feel emotionally distressed and require immediate assistance, please drop by the AMS Speakeasy desk (NEST 3125) and ask to speak with a Peer Supporter. You can also contact UBC Counselling Services or visit them during drop in hours. 
  • If you need help outside of Ombuds, Speakeasy and UBC Counselling Services hours, you can phone the Vancouver Crisis Centre at 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433).
  • For academic issues, an Academic Advisor is the first person you can contact. Your faculty will have a number for them.
  • For anything relating to sexualized violence, get in touch with the Sexual Assault Support Centre (SASC). 
  • For anything relating to equity and inclusion, visit UBC’s Equity and Inclusion Office website.
  • For anything relating to fair treatment at UBC, visit UBC’s Office of Ombudsperson For Students website.

If you have any concerns regarding the AMS Ombudsperson, you can direct them to the Human Resources Committee at