



AMS Finance Committee Minutes

Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver

Jan 28, 2022 at 1:00 PM PST

@ <https://us06web.zoom.us/j/91667532872>

Attendance

Members Present:

Francesca Kohn (SaL), Rita Jin (Staff), Cole Evans, Mary Gan, Keith Hester, Kamil Kanji, Mitchell Prost

Members Absent:

Juliane Jou (SaL), Emily Covell (Staff), Archives Assistants, Aryan Mishra

Guests Present:

Lorris Leung, Hassan Murad, Jason Pang

I. Adoption of the Agenda

BIRT the agenda is adopted as presented

Moved by Mary, Seconded by Mitchell.

II. Approval of Minutes

BIRT the January 21st, 2022 Finance Committee meeting minutes are approved as presented

 [January 21st, 2022 AMS Finance Committee Minutes.pdf](#)

Moved by Mary, Seconded by Mitchell.

III. AMS SPF: Intuitive AI Bin Discussion

Hassan:

Before I get started, are there any key things you would like me to address?

Jason:

Some folks in the call haven't heard of Oscar before so it would be great if you could go over the benefits and what it could bring to the community.

Hassan:

We are building the first zero-waste operating system for companies and organizations. How do we slash CO2 and methane emissions. To outline what we've recognized with waste management is contamination issues and confusion at the source. People do not know how to properly recycle some items which results in waste auditing later on. Our goal is to make waste manageable. Oscar is the waste operating system with three

elements. Oscar pixel (middle), Oscar sort (right), and standard waste improvement (left). Pixels get attached to dumpsters, loading docks, kitchens, lab waste, construction waste, etc. The point is to try to get better cleaner streams. Waste analytics is where you see what are the brands being reserved, what are getting thrown out, etc. The standard way this operates at larger companies is first establish a pilot. Then, we estimate the other costs by deploying and then placing a couple of units - to target for savings. (See slides and links for images and tutorials)

Kamil:

Cost-wise, what are some fees that we might incur?

Hassan:

Have you seen the quote?

Jason:

The link I was given expired so we don't have access to the quote.

Hassan:

Okay, the pilot would be ~\$6700 per unit. A typical waste audit costs around \$4-5k each time. Oscar would allow for 2 waste audits per month. That's the minimum investment required to start working together. Tim Hortons, Nike, Visa, JP Morgan are some our clients and our goals for them is to increase diversion and decrease contamination. My question for you guys is what are we hoping to accomplish within the first 30, 60, 90 days or even the first year?

Mary:

For this bin, if it identifies something it has never seen before, would it be able to figure out which bin it would be sorted into or will it not be able to sort it?

Hassan:

Oscar has been deployed in Canada, USA, and global sites (Europe, Hong Kong, Australia) so it has seen garbage across the world. That's the input to the AI model. It has a lot of objects it has seen. The first month is the calibration stage. It can learn during that pilot period. Recommendation would also depend on the goal of the organization (e.g. penalties). Oscar Sort was recommended for the AMS because the goal was to increase general diversion and waste recycling efficiency.

Jason:

I would love your thoughts and opinions. It's not a small investment but I do see a big impact on the community long-term.

Mitchell:

Do you have any data on waste diversions and sorting on the Nest?

Jason:

I do have the data but I don't have it off the top of my head. It has been lower in recent years in COVID. I'm confident that the waste diversion rates have definitely decreased because of the pandemic.

Kamil:

Is the goal for Oscar to be set up on every floor? Every trashbin?

Jason:

Most popular waste location - so one system first. If the pilot is successful, to implement at other popular waste locations. If there was a successful pilot at the Nest, then the university will advocate to implement Oscars in the rest of the UBC community.

Mary:

I would like to see a formal invoice to see what it will cost in total. Also, any subscription and maintenance fees.

Jason:

Yes, there is an upfront cost and an annual subscription fee (\$4-5k). I can ask him for a proper invoice. My main intention here today is to gauge interest in the project. If this is scalable, I can apply for a proper SPF application. I can also get a confirmation from the university to promise implementation around the university given the condition that the AMS implements one in the Nest.

Keith:

Does the unit need an internet connection?

Jason:

I believe yes. I talked to Michael already and we can use UBCSecure, wireless connection. The data needs to be sent to diversion managing site - to collect data.

Kamil:

Say, we move forward with this, do we have an estimate of the amount of Oscars we would need?

Jason:

That's why we need a pilot because I don't have a rough estimate. I could ask SFU to see how many they have implemented but UBC is larger than SFU. I would say ~10 across the university would be the end goal to emphasize on major waste diversion sites.

Mitchell:

Also, any feedback from folks at SFU and place would be great. E.g. if people prefer to use them or if they avoid it because it takes up more time, etc.

Jason:

Yes, I can look into it.

Mary:

Yes, I think we should have a proper SPF application.

Jason:

Okay, you will see me with that soon then.

IV. AMS SPF: LFSUS

BIRT \$205 is approved from the Sustainability Projects Fund for the UBC Farm Walk-and-talk (presented by the LFS|US)

Jason:

This is a collaboration for AMS Sustainability Week. The Thursday event would be organized by LFSUS. The main ask is for the tour of the farm for the staff representative to supervise and run for the tour. As well as gifts and snacks for the participants themselves.

Kamil:

I think this is great. My question/concern with the larger structure about how the SPF application. Like a \$205 application, does it have to go through Finance Committee? We would pass this through the SPF Committee typically but code hasn't been approved yet so we are waiting for Operations Committee.

Mary:

In the future, only applications over \$5000 would go the Finance Committee. One question is that is this funding needed by LFSUS? Constituencies have tons of money. I don't think it is necessary to take it from the SPF.

Jason:

LFSUS didn't budget for any sustainability projects because they wanted to use from SPF and other funding sources. Particularly, it is for AMS Sustainability week so they have opened it up to all students, not just LFS students so they hope to get some financial support for this sustainability effort.

Kamil:

I think this is beneficial for the student body so I think it qualifies for the fund.

Mary:

In general, not a big ask but in the future, constituencies should focus on spending out their own of large reserves within their own budgets. SPF should be for students who don't have much fundings and would need SPF compared to other groups. Any other thoughts?

BIRT \$205 is approved from the Sustainability Projects Fund for the UBC Farm Walk-and-talk (presented by the LFS | US)

Moved by Kamil, Seconded by Mitchell.

V. AMS Budget Discussions: Executives, Student Services

 [AMS Budget 2021-22 Revised.xlsx](#)

Mary:

We are not voting on anything.

Cole:

Technically, Mitchell does not have to recuse himself because he is not personally benefiting from the funding.

Mary:

Overview: today, we are looking over student services budget amendments. Aashna is here to talk about the SASC amendments. If something is in red, means it was decreased from the original budget in July. If it is green, means it was increased from the original budget.

Lorris:

(See budget for increases)

Mitchell:

For meal plan, nothing was budgeted originally. In the past, money has been budgeted but this year it wasn't so I want to include that for this year as well. Also, I've reinitiated the cancellation of phone plans but I updated the budget to reflect that it wasn't cancelled last year. Food purchases is increasing by \$70,000 despite the overall cost is decreasing. The cost already exists in our expenses but wasn't budgeted properly previously. It is just to update the budget due to the grant. Insurance is less expensive. Furniture and equipment is also decreased after we cancelled a system subscription.

Keith:

F&B is covering the cost of the meal vouchers, so no need to budget here in benefits.

Mary:

It seems to still be allocated on the TBs.

Keith:

Okay, I'll check.

Cole:

There might be a duplication in the EI and CPP portions.

Keith:

I'll check on these just to be sure.

Mary:

I don't think double counting is happening based on what I've seen on TBs.

Cole:

Make sure we are reporting our revenues from food bank properly. Make sure it is an accurate reflection so that we don't have a \$40,000 chunk in our budget.

Mary:

I can check with accounting with some of the numbers.

Cole:

Yes, please confirm the amount. Something doesn't look right there.

Mary:

Let's go over SASC.

Aashna:

Hi everyone, red is decreased and green is increased. The decreases are salaries & wages, employee benefits (vacant positions) and safety & security (overbudgeted, only every 3 months not every months). There are increases in volunteer training because we had to say some goodbyes to past volunteers this year. There are also increases in salaries & wages for our Advocacy group to compensate for the 4 new employees. A very small increase in professional services to offer more clinical support to our team. Salaries & wages and volunteer training are increased under our SASC Outreach and Volunteer group as well to compensate for the extra work they have been doing. There are 2 decreases in Healthy Masculinities program because the position was vacant for two months.

Mary:

For SASC, the amendments seem to be reflecting the situations so it looks good to me. Any questions or concerns? I will look into the food bank's debit. Thanks Aashna, Lorris, and Mitchell for explaining some things. Thank you for coming. Some final things for executives.

Cole:

Spending was higher on Indigenous Cultural Month (tripled what we budgeted for) so we updated the budget line to reflect that.

Mary:

I will explain Lauren's. Last year, Clubs Day had security costs and they also want to host another Clubs Day in term 2 so they are increasing budget to \$12k. They are budgeting around labour costs, signage, and tents and \$2.5k in security. I would say \$12k is enough. That's basically it for Clubs Day. This year, there are additional security, tents, and table costs because event had to be hosted outside. For the rest of the executives, not really any amendments. In terms of Student Council and AMS Events, we will be looking at them next week. I want to bring the budget to February 16th Council for reforecast.