



# Finance Committee Minutes

Alma Mater Society of UBC Vancouver  
Feb 25, 2022 at 1:00 PM PST  
@ <https://us06web.zoom.us/j/91667532872>

## Attendance

### Members Present:

Rita Jin (Staff), Cole Evans, Mary Gan, Keith Hester, Kamil Kanji, Aryan Mishra, Mitchell Prost

### Members Absent:

Francesca Kohn (SaL), Juliane Jou (SaL), Emily Covell (Staff), Archives Assistants

#### I. Adoption of Agenda

BIRT agenda is adopted as presented

Moved by Mary, Seconded by Aryan.

#### II. Approval of Minutes

BIRT the February 11th, 2022 AMS Finance Committee minutes are approved as presented

 [February 11th, 2022 AMS Finance Committee Minutes.pdf](#)

Moved by Mary, Seconded by Kamil.

#### III. Resource Groups Funding Proposal

BIRT \$80,000 is approved from the Resource Groups Fund for the Justice Summer project

 [Justice Summer Description.pdf](#)

Gabby:

My name is Gabby and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I was the chair for the UBC Social Justice Centre for 2 years and graduated in 2021.

Nitahi:

Hi, I'm the treasurer for the resource group.

Gabby:

We are here to talk about the Justice Summer project. I want to start off with my experience and explain why we are asking you for funding. Last summer, my peers and I talked over 800 people over the span of 6 weeks which gave my leadership skills and tools. It made me feel supported to grow as a leader. I was able to start to see myself as a leader in my community and got my first organizing job. This forms the base of organization, trains people to fight for justice, and sets people up to make a difference in

social justice careers. We want to expand this to train ~20 people, mostly people who are racialized or working class. We will provide a crash course to organizers to teach them how to be successful (e.g. lead meetings, maintain boundaries, handle rejection, etc.) This will help people get jobs in organizing spaces. The wage to train one organizer would be \$8,000 (for \$25/hour) because we want to provide higher than the current minimum wage. The Resource Group Allocation Committee is willing to fund up to \$80,000 so 10 organizers.

Mary:

Who would be able to access these programs?

Gabby:

The only requirement is that it is for folks under 30 years old – so youth. We would also market to racialized groups or working class individuals. My own social circle is mainly UBC-focussed so I will be sharing this to my communities.

Mary:

How was the project done before and what would the logistics look like?

Gabby:

This is the first time it will run on paying people. We're hoping there to be 20 organizers in total. We've raised ~\$30,000 outside of the RGAC fund. We hope to get more external funding to pay the trainers.

Mary:

Another thing to note is that the resource group fund is paid for by students. It'll make sense that the marketing should be targetted to the students as well since it is their money that is being put towards it.

Gabby:

Yes, I can get in touch with AMS Executives to makes sure that this information goes out.

Cole:

I strongly support this proposal. I think this is a great idea. Good utilization of the funds in that fund account.

Mary:

If RGAC supports it, we are likely also in support of it since they oversee a lot of the resource groups. Any other questions? (N/A)

Does this need to go to Council?

Cole:

Pretty sure it is just the Finance Committee approval.

**BIRT \$80,000 is approved from the Resource Groups Fund for the Justice Summer project.**

IV. AMS Funds and Fees Report

BIRT the AMS 2021-22 Funds and Fees Report is approved as presented

 [AMS 2021-22 Funds and Fees Report.pdf](#)

Cole:

The Sub Management Reserve has no spending YTD whereas the SUB Repairs and Replacements Reserve has over \$155,000 spending YTD. Was that a misallocation or?

Mary:

I can check the TBs again.

Keith:

Michael is maintaining the Sub Management Reserve on the project right now. The spending will be allocated once spent. As well for Gallery furniture, the money budgeted hasn't actually been spent yet. I just signed it yesterday.

Cole:

Okay, just wanted to flag that.

Kamil:

Is the Art Gallery Reserve just for the Hatch Gallery?

Keith:

Yes, just for Hatch. We put money into it every year to put towards upkeep and to acquire new works.

Mary:

Summary of fees and funds

(See report for all the funds)

There are also recommendations such as improving communication between the AMS and fee-receiving groups. That has been an on-going problem because some budgets don't get sent in and/or MOUs don't get signed. So, we should add a method to keep them accountable.

Furthermore, we should establish a fee referendum consultation process as that was critiqued this year (see PDF).

Mitchell:

For the table of fees, can we add a column that states what the total would be with opt-out and non-opt-out fees.

Mary:

Sure, I can do that. Also, a lot of the fees can be subsidized so I can add that to give a better idea.

**BIRT the AMS 2021-22 Funds and Fees Report is approved as presented**

Moved by Mary, Seconded by Kamil.

V. Oscar AI

BIRT \$8,400 is approved from the SPF for the Oscar Sort Project

 [Intuitive-AI-Overview.pdf](#)

 [UBC - AMS Sustainability.pdf](#)

Mary:

We don't have to vote on this today but I know Cole wanted to discuss this. I'll move straight to the invoice. Cole, do you want to share your thoughts?

Cole:

I'm not too concerned with the \$8,000 fee but I am not clear on what the ongoing fees will be. E.g. annual subscription, maintenance, etc. Will the money be coming out of SPF consistently?

Mary:

Students might be concerned why this project is so pricey. So I don't think it should come out of Central.

Cole:

I also haven't heard about this from the VP Administration. I have heard about this from the VP Administration staff. This is a very rich thing so someone should be accountable for it. It's fun but is it worth 10k? You're essentially investing in this product. At the second year, we would have already paid \$4,000 for the hardware so we would likely continue with the software or risk losing the hardware cost. I would rather structure it as a 4 or 5 year plan with decreased spending.

Mary:

It is a little bit too fancy in my opinion. We could just have posters/lists of what each recycling bin accepts.

Kamil:

In their presentation, they mentioned a lot big name companies that they work with. Not sure if it is very sustainable. If we can negotiate, that would be cool. Although, I don't know how receptive they will be. If that doesn't work out, I don't think the benefits outweigh the cons.

Mary:

Yeah, and I think people may still put trash in the wrong bin even with the new technology.

Cole:

I know Jason mentioned things with waste mitigation looks like but that would require it in a lot of areas. That would cost us even more.

Keith:

Yes, I also want to highlight the fact that this is a pilot. So, they would expect us to keep paying this/investing in this project. Also, the sorting isn't done by AMS nor UBC.

Mitchell:

I also do not support this. I think there are better waste mitigation ways that don't require such a big investment.

Mary:

Okay, I think the majority is against the project then. I think that's it for this meeting then. Thank you all for coming!

## VI. Fee Referendum Process

See AMS Funds and Fees Report section for discussion.