



THE ALMA MATER SOCIETY
OF THE UNIVERSITY OF BRITISH COLUMBIA VANCOUVER

AMS Executive Performance and Accountability Committee
Minutes of June 12, 2023

Attendance

Present: Max Holmes (Committee Chair – Speaker of Council), Koda Tootosis (Councillor), Clayton Cullaton (Councillor), Karisma Jutla (Chair Student Life Committee), Lawrence Liu (Chair HR Committee & Chair Finance Committee)

Regrets: Ayesha Irfan (Chair Governance Committee), Thomas Dunsmore (Councillor), Erin Co (Councillor)

Recording Secretary: Max Holmes

Call to Order

The meeting is called to order at 5:00 PM

Approval of the Agenda

Be it resolved that the agenda be approved as presented.

Moved: Clayton Seconded: Koda

Update from Chair

The Chair gave a brief update about scheduling and the future work of the committee.

Discussion of Terms of Reference

Max: Opportunity for orientation and review the terms of reference and if there is anything we want to change. I noted one change necessary which was that we need to clarify who is the voting members. Currently, I am a voting member of the committee but as speaker I likely shouldn't be a voting member. Any other noted changes for membership?

None.

Max: Main duty of our committee is that we will be collecting feedback about the executives and reviewing their performance and report on our work to Council. We were created out of a committee that doesn't exist anymore (oversight) and the ethics and accountability committee. We have both proactive and reactive work as a committee. Our proactive work is collecting feedback and once a month reviewing the performance of the executives. Our reactive work is investigating any complaints about executives and members of council as directed.

Max: I will be trying to get us training on procedural fairness because we have legal obligations as a non-profit to review the performance of our paid executives. We have the ability to investigate, and we need to have training for that process. Likely, this training will be with the University Ombudsperson.

Max: We have very little that we do on our own as a committee, almost everything will be recommendations and reports that we make to Council. We will need to also create a process for the removal of Executives and we will spend time this summer working on that process.

Max: We need to start collecting in feedback in June, so that is most time-pressing. We may need to look at code suspension due to the timeline coming up soon on that. Is there anything people have questions on or concerns?

Karisma: Many people we have to get feedback from for the President, how will that process work and will they all come to the committee?

Max: Likely we will not have everyone come in person since people will not be comfortable and we wouldn't have enough time. Likely we will use a feedback form.

Clayton: How do we resolve conflicts of interest with the members of this committee?

Max: For conflict of interest, I as the chair would rule on your conflict of interest and if we are investigating members of the committee they will be excluded. Members of the committee can recommend work for the committee at Council that is not a conflict of interest.

Max: I will be sure to have non-voting be put next to my name for the committee's I serve on since as speaker I should never have a vote on standing committees.

Discussion of Regular Executive Performance Updates

Max: Once a month we have regular performance updates at Council and the hope is that this committee can take some of those conversations to a committee. We will have the Executives come once a month to this committee and we will try to allocate one hour a month to these updates with the executives. We can use the executives' goals for these discussions and the progress they are making. The plan is we will start at our next meeting. Any questions?

None.

Max: Additionally, these discussions will be incamera since they are incamera at Council.

Discussion of Collecting Feedback about Executives

Max: Code requires we collect feedback from specific people if we want to add others we will need to amend the code. This has never been done before so we will need to create the process. 12 staff and managers are included for president feedback and unclear if for presidents council we should be collecting individual or collective feedback. Little guidance from governance review so we will need to define these issues.

Karisma: Should we defer to presidents council to create the process that they want?

Max: We are collecting feedback on Executives which would be covered by employment obligations we have as a society. So, we might need to have a certain level of consistency and it could be difficult if we use a survey for President's Council to do that as a collective. Multiple options for them: have a separate process that isn't a feedback form for them as a collective way to give feedback, have individual presidents fill out the form, or have the group fill out the form. The last option doesn't seem very feasible though. What do people think about feedback from presidents council?

Clayton: If we allow the Council to decide we could run into issues of disagreement and a form that doesn't work for everyone.

Karisma: I think it would be a good idea to have the Council discuss the feedback they give on a regular basis.

Max: Important to remember that this feedback form is not the only way to submit feedback. People can reach out to our committee whenever they feel the need. The regular process is to make sure we have some regular information coming in to the committee.

Koda: How would we be collecting feedback?

Max: We would use some sort of survey or form like what we do for our permanent staff and managers. We can use a 1-5 scale and add comment boxes. The sections we could have for feedback are on executive goals, strategic plan alignment, and general performance.

Max: We have varying levels of collecting feedback for people. For the president we have all the managers, a few permanent staff for VP Finance and VP Administration, but no permanent staff for VP External and VP Academic. Also, VP External VP Academic have the least amount of student staff so we will collect the least feedback from them. Also, no peer feedback for some reason, only VPs give feedback to President.

Koda: How would we go about making changes?

Max: Likely we would need to do a Code Change, I think I can meet with the Executives along with the MD and HR Manager to discuss the feedback process and if changes need to be made. There is anxiety about permanent staff giving feedback to a committee and whether or not that information will be protected and that staff won't face retaliation. This is why I will meet with the MD and HR Manager to discuss what could be done to make people less hesitant to fill out the survey.

Lawrence: Can we really do it completely anonymous?

Max: So, we can ensure that peoples identities are not revealed directly but there is such a small number of people it could be very clear who is giving feedback. This is why I am meeting with management for more help on this issue.

Karisma: It will be important to get feedback divided into: student staff, permanent staff, and constituency presidents. It becomes very obvious quickly who the feedback can be from.

Max: This is why this will be so difficult because there is gonna be a lot of fear on the side of permanent staff to fill something out that it becomes quite clear the feedback is from them.

Clayton: This is why we will need to reassure people about what information is shared with whom and how we will use collective data for feedback.

Max: Agreed, we can be sure to make it clear what information is presented to Council and what info the Executives will get to see. For example, the comments will never be verbatim shared beyond the committee.

Karisma: Can we allow people to come and talk to the committee if they don't want to do written feedback?

Max: Yes we can do that.

Max: So three sections so far: executive goals, strategic plan, and general performance. Anything missing? Should we do a unique section for each executive?

Karisma: I like the idea of a fourth section unique to each executive. Also, have the information available, like executive goals, when people fill out the form.

Clayton: Also, for student staff we should ask about how supported they feel.

Max: Noted for the first draft. I will take this and talk to the HR Manager and Managing Director. Should we expand who the MD gives feedback on?

Lawrence: Somewhat split because not all execs work that much with the MD.

Max: I will take this to the MD and see what their thoughts are about it.

Discussion of Committee Scheduling

Max: We will be meeting every two weeks on Mondays from 5-7 PM. At our next meeting, we will have the executives come. It seems this time works for most people. Do we want hybrid or remote?

Karisma: Would be nice to have a hybrid option.

Max: Sounds good, we can do hybrid starting in July and in-person/hybrid in September onward.

Discussion of Vice-Chairs

Max: We will likely need the vice-chair to present our reports to Council because as the speaker I cannot participate in debate and the President can't chair during that section since it would be about them. So, the vice-chair will have a more active role which is why we may have two vice-chairs. Don't worry though I will deliver the feedback to Executives on behalf of our committee which is part of why I was made chair to have a buffer between councillors and the Executive when feedback is delivered. Do we want to delay electing a vice-chair since we are missing people today?

Committee agreed to delay the election.

Discussion of Committee Feedback for Executives

The Committee moved incamera for two minutes.

Other Business

There was no other business and the meeting was adjourned at 6:07 PM.