

Kamil: Calling this meeting to order at 6:01pm. Welcome to advocomm, i'm excited for summer term and what we can accomplish!

**Kamil: presents a land acknowledgement.**

Kamil: Sorry for the late agenda. It is available now but I want to push the vice chair item to the next meeting as we'll have clio and koda present.

**Approval of the agenda Moved: Kamil Seconded:Mayank**

Kamil: Let's do intros. Name, pronouns, position and someone you'd like to have dinner with.

Kamil: My name is Kamil. I am the vp academic and if I could have dinner I'd do George Washington or a past president.

Cindy: My name is Cindy and pronouns she/her. Faculty of science rep. If i could have dinner with one person it would be Santa Ono.

Cynara: My name is Cynara. My pronouns are she/her, Im AVP academic and I'd have dinner with Kamil because I miss him

Aki: My name is Aki, I am the faculty of law rep. I guess I would meet with FDR

Salva: My name is Salva, I'm going into my 4th year of microbio and I'm a science councilor with cindy. I would have dinner with my grandma because she'd cook for me

Mayank:I'm a student at large. If I had dinner with someone it would be Walter Gage.

Koda: My name is Koda, my pronouns are he him. I am the co chair of the indigenous constituency and If i were to have supper with someone famous I'd do doja cat

Tina: My name is tina, my pronouns are she/her but I'd probably have dinner with Jenny from blackpink

Erin: My name is Erin I'm AVP external this year and I'D meet with jimmy carter

Bandul: Hi my name is bandhul and I would meet with Barack obama

Kamil: for approval of minutes. We can push this to next meeting unless everyone has read it

**BIRT that the minutes be approved**

**Moved: Tina Seconded: Koda**

Kamil: Updates from the VPAUA and VP external. Starting with me. For the AES we're having faculty specific breakdowns to circulate with faculty deans and we're presenting the AES results to the associate deans. We're relating the AES to work with CFA as well as mandatory bias training, also working with the career center and the new managing director. Only 14% of students had access to the career centre so working with the VP Students (VpS) to fix that. Also working on the budget brief and circulating it to some constituencies to see if there's anything missing. The budget brief for those of you don't know is a breakdown to understand the very complicated UBC budget. We'll circulate that and use that as a collective to leverage advocacy. We're also doing goal setting which will come to council and you guys can provide feedback.

Mayank: All the faculty specific info will be shared to the deans but will this be given to society execs as well?

Kamil: Yes, we gave them their constituency specific data but we'll do that as well

Mayank: Yes i think that's important to have

Kamil: We've been talking to Ainsley about it and referencing it. We'll make references to it all year with all our work. Faculty specific AES will be made available and sent to undergrad societies and deans of respective faculties

Mayank: Is this public?

Kamil: Yes on the AMS website as well as onboard.

Kamil: Right now we're working with the EDI office to see what that will look like. Some of it will be resource creation and some will be communicating to faculty. Hopefully we'll get something set up for september. The UBC e&i office has much more resources so a lot will be working with them.

Tina: Hi everyone. These are the updates relevant to the committee. So we're working on goals right now by doing research and looking at past office goals because it's important to continue what we can. Also doing policy briefs of each area and identifying gaps for govt policies in place. As we draft these goals we reach out to diff groups: student unions, coalitions, ministers because they're the main ones who can make this advocacy happen. Good to be on the same page with the student unions and coalitions. Reaching out to people and scheduling meetings. So far for goals, we have 8 or 9 big areas we're adding on to. But it will be financial security, affordability, wellness and safe resources. International resources ,transparency etc. We also have been working on the summer upass subsidy and we also want to expand eligibility to students working and taking online courses. We communicated with comms and updated the application. We also have SUDS. Everything is on track. We're following the timelines. Other than that, meetings and things going on with other coalitions such as UCRU and running for an exec position again. They are holding a re-election and AMS usually holds a big position so being apart of that.

Kamil: Want to Provide a background on UCRU

Tina: yes so onUCRU: basically it's 9 universities across Canada and all the vp externals sit on it. There are 3 exec positions there: Chair, Vice and Secretary/Treasurer. So this year, waterloo got chair and I got vice chair and the secretary was left open. SO the previous board introduced structural change so it'll be 5 execs = Chair, Director of OPs, Director of policy, Director of comms and treasurer. In terms of the changes from the AMS side we said we don't think it's a good idea but they went ahead with it. No one else was nominated for Director of ops so basically it's just me running again.

Kmail: Any Qs

Anna: Is this exec?

Kamil: so it's chair and directors

Tina: Yes but it's just gonna be me and waterloo

Anna: Any provincial lobby week for the summer?

Tina: No.

Anna: For the Upass subsidy you must have a loan to apply but there are some people with struggles that don't have a loan.

Tina: The previous VP X did this and they were aiming to have those with financial struggles but yes we definitely want to help as many students as possible but we've been meeting with the UPASS committee to see what the budget have

Anna: Someone might struggle financially but not have loans.

Tina: Yes we've been trying to figure out where we can approve people without a loan with this gray area but it's important for us to stick to this criteria and not just deem some people to have financial struggles and others not.

Mayank: What is the feasibility to apply tiers to this?

Bandhul: That's already in place by ubc

Aki: I want clarification on Anna's comments on needing loans to access the subsidy. Some background? I just wanna know because oftentimes those in bad financial need can't access credit and international students can't access without a cosigner

Tina: so basically the eligibility says show hardship through loans, scholarship etc so it's just to show financial hardship

Bandhul: we are not judging students on just that there are 5 criteria. Not just loans or scholarships but supporting financial documents etc. For example if they are working and living in van and haven't paid for the upass they are up for eligibility. Most students applying also have grants but we also accepts loans for their home country

Kamil: wanna explain SUDS

Tina: So it's gonna happen in August. Where UBC has AMS, other universities also have student unions across Canada. So we have them come to UBC and stay for 4 days. We have workshops during the day and keynote during the day and fun events. A lot goes into it which is why we have a suds coordinator. We have sponsorship packing finalized and making sure we can accommodate everyone. Planning for venues and dates etc. We always host it at UBC.

Kamik: Moving to goal setting. It's good to have a discussion on what we want to accomplish this year. And my office will produce a nicer looking articulation of what we have said.

Mayank: Can you go over what Vice chair does

Kamil: I envision it to co-create the agenda together and being a person to invite others to the meeting and doing that consultation work and then hosting the meeting when i'm not present. I'll just have my staff take minutes as it will allow everyone to partake in talking and listening. Any goals thoughts?

Anna: Who is responsible for the **Equity Action Plan review**?

Kamil: That's the Pres office but that's something we could lookin into doing if people are interested.

Mayank: **Academic policy for concessions and hardship**

Kamil: In terms of last year there wasn't a lot of work done to wrap that up so the best thing to do is look at academic policies and working with the CFA. It's very general right now and we want to expand that so that's something my office will work on. I would love for this committee to be providing feedback on academic policy. **Maybe in a future meeting I can circulate the AP related and we can all discuss them**

Mayank: In going through the AES I -didn't see data on how accessible it was. I think going forward **we should ask how accessible the CFA was in the AES** because a lot of people have problems with that and it's important to know how people feel. I think it may be good to have an **interest group or even a CFA survey or just some attention focused on that.**

Aki: lack of accessibility to CFA is a really big issue talked about in Law school. When we try to book exams we don't get timely responses. Another thing, broadly, there were also a lot of issues regarding the CFA policies and regulations themselves not being accessible. Those regulation and policies lay out how someone should request accommodations and one of the things, I know a friend who could literally not access the policies because of their specific disability and were denied accommodation because of their lack of understanding

Kamil: I had a meeting with the advocacy service team and that's what we kind of heard. The CFA doesn't seem willing to change. The AMS has approached them offering more funding and we've been rejected. So a lot of this year will be breaking down through that rigidity and figuring out the internal issues and why there are consistent issues across years and seeing from the student end what those issues are. I think it would be great to **bring Kevin from advocacy to share more about CFA issues as he has wide breadth of knowledge**

Mayank: I also think with the **academic caucus maybe something valuable to bring up**

Aki: I'm wondering if there's been anything about an external audit giving their lack of willingness to change?

Kamil: That's a great idea Aki!

Mayank: Is there any documentation relating to this issue?

Kami;: Yes previous, AES, previous budget submissions but not specific focus group connected with the CFA but we can **work to compile that potentially, a good item for us and a meeting between academic caucus would be good to do that.**

Aki: I joined a bit late, could you summarize the goals raised.

Kamil: CFA and exam hardships. We'll be putting forth recommendations through my senate role

Aki: I have a couple more ideas: One of the bigger things I think is housing and food related advocacy on that end. Another thing slightly different is inflation and rising cost of living. I would say maybe taking a harsher look at the UBC budget and ensuring because we're advocating for things that cost a lot of money that we make sure money isn't being spent on things not important to us.

Kamil: Yea so every year, the AUA office sends a budget submission with priorities for the AMS and that's where we talk about things we care about. That will likely be something we engage with and produce in November and for Housing the main thing over next year is the CV2050 process. This is a 30 year vision that UBC is engaging in. They'll be taking a look at the Land use plan and housing action plan. Wanted to expand the campus housing opportunities that are below market, the skytrain is part of that, amenities including grocery stores. Those are all

affordability things were advocating for. These are more long term but in terms of short term, we're looking at emergency bursary and looking at redirecting housing services that is similar to meal share. Subsidizing some part of housing. In terms of food insecurity, we're always looking to secure more for the food bank. We've already secured 350k but we have a meeting coming up next week to see where the addition 100k allocation will go (meal share, food bank, GSS, sprouts) and also looking into mealshare money reallocation potentially through working with the VpS

Tina: As for housing we're looking at current existing grants and looking at gaps. We're also looking at Canadian housing benefits. In the past there was a one time tax free \$5000 housing benefit to eligible students so we maybe want to lobby for that again. We advocate for food security grants through budget consultation. Speaking with other universities who are interested in making the same recommendation which is great because the government will hear it as a unified voice. As for covid inflation rates, we found that they impact students a lot and sent those stats to the government.

Kamil: **all things we'll include in the goals**

Mayank: Before going on to more ideas, does this committee serve as a place to bounce ideas off or do we actually partake in projects?

Kamil: It is more of a bounce off ideas and advice but when it comes to things like consultations like **CFA focus group or survey** that's something the committee can do but otherwise mostly advice

Anna: in the report there was also mention of more opportunity for indigenous learning will you speak with indigenous constituency

Kamil: Yes, we will definitely focus on indigenizing the syllabus is one of our big ideas but in the future also more consultation with the indigenous constituency.

Tina: We definitely would love to meet with Koda as well for recommendations. Right now we're looking into what's already in place and seeing new ways to advocate for. There's actually quite a lot for grants right now but still looking for gaps

Kamil: We can definitely **include indigenous learning and opportunities** into our work and goals for this committee.

Mayank: We were looking at last year into **professor evaluation on a deeper level than sei**. I've had my friends when they submit a CFA request the Prof is not open and disrespectful. The faculties need to make these spaces more inclusive and there needs to be more strict measures. I think that's something I'd like to see

Kamil: Nice something for the next meeting. I have a lot of ideas on that.

Meeting is adjourned at 7:01PM.

Action Items:

- Circulate AP related to Concessions for committee to review
- bring Kevin from advocacy to share more about CFA issues as he has wide breadth of knowledge