

Minutes of the AMS Agenda Committee

July 28th 2023

Participants: Esme Decker, Kamil Kanji, Ian Caguiat, Max Holmes, Lawrence Liu, Sheldon Goldfarb

Recording Secretary: Joshua Kim

1. Call to Order

The meeting was called to order at _____ 2:20 _____ pm.

2. Discussion Items

Esme: HR Committee met once, so there are no minutes, I'm assuming?

Lawrence: HRComm has no minutes. For Fincomm, Vice-Chair's been taking notes, but the minutes have not been approved yet in Fincomm.

Esme: Govcomm needs to send in their minutes.

Kamil: Advocomm also needs to send in one soon as well.

Esme: BOG and Senate report... mainly written updates are what's needed. Basically, the main things in here are Health and Dental Plan Committee minutes that are not approved, but we have ones that are from the recent meetings that we approved that we can submit. EPA session.

Sheldon: You chose this rather than the 23rd for the EPA?

Esme: Yes.

Sheldon: EPA first in the in camera sessions?

Esme: I don't know why it's like this on OnBoard right now. Joanne was asking Max if the appointment to the EPA is supposed to be at the end here or if it's a glitch?

Max: I didn't add it to the agenda so I don't know who put it there. Putting it in the appointments section would be good.

Esme: EPA section at the end is good, the order for in-camera updates should be Health & Dental first, then update on PC1/2, and then in-camera discussion on Food Bank. In-camera discussion on H&D because of internal financial details, including some things still up in the air that need to be verified. PC1/2 update will be in camera to give context to councillors about confidential HR information. Food Bank discussion is also in-camera since we want to follow up on the Student-At-Large concerns and I wanted to check in with the new Council and their stance on this issue.

Sheldon: And why is this an in-camera discussion?

Esme: Since this is also a UBC HR issue, so Kathleen and I, having met with UBC HR, can share confidential HR info for context only to councillors. I wanted it to be in-camera so that people can feel comfortable sharing their most honest opinions and we can all check-in on what page we're all on. Kathleen doesn't have the capacity to add people.

Kamil: I thought Council was already on the same page as well. Council already knows of our financial hardships.

Max: Question – for last year, the H&D discussion was a 20-min presentation and then a discussion – will this be a presentation and then a discussion or straight into a discussion on the topic?

Esme: PC1/2 discussion will be a presentation. I can add notes to the item on OnBoard – a 10-minute presentation and 5 minutes discussion. Was there anything else that we wanted to add to the agenda?

Everyone: no response.

Esme: Let's talk about the Code of Conduct then... did people get to look at that? Max, do you have any thoughts on it?

Max: I did get to look at it – no opinions but in the perspective of the Code – but you can't make councillors sign it. You can't have Council sign it unless the Council approves the document. You need to either amend Code to allow adding things to the document or bring the document to Council and pass the document through Council with no AMS bodies approving it. Hasn't gone to Govcomm nor Council – legal document without approval cannot be signed.

Esme: I was planning on bringing it to Govcomm and to potentially copy+paste Code Section 2 into the document as well. The purpose of this document is to make it clear that people are reading what's in Code and what the directors of the Society is supposed to do and disclose any conflicts of interest. My main direction with this document is as mentioned previously – having a space to disclose conflicts of interest proactively, and have this match Code. How does that sound, Max?

Max: Up to you guys how you want to go ahead with this – that's how Council used to do this – copy+pasting from the Code or the Societies Act to refer to legal documents. If you want to bind councillors to sign onto this, Council will have to approve the document. You can also give councillors the ability to reject signing the document, but do we want that to happen, etc. But either way, you will have to have Council approve the document.

Esme: I would love to get more comments on the document as well to see if we need to add more things to the Code – such as the word “fiduciary duty” is not in the Code and it's a common term...

Kamil: It's in the Societies Act though, right?

Max: Yes. I can try and point out which things are probably already in the Societies Act, Code, or neither.

Esme: That would be helpful. To have the document for September would make the most sense. We can try to – another thing for August 23rd then I guess. For everybody's goals, Opscomm and Student Life Committee made some goals, govcomm did not make goals yet...?

Kamil: They haven't yet.

Esme: Ayesha hasn't put the goals together into a set of goals yet I guess

Kamil: Advocomm is still in the process of changing the goals so hopefully it gets finalized soon.

Esme: HRcomm and Fincomm? I guess we will go HRcomm brainstorming next week?

Lawrence: Yep. For Fincomm we talked about it earlier in the year but we didn't get a chance to put down the verbal goals in a written form but some are in the process of being finalized. Next week, we will try and have a committee meeting.



Esme: All the business on the agenda then. Kathleen's Services Strategies and Plans presentation will occur next meeting. She is just going to make them written-up in a way that aligns with the senior managers' highlighted goals this year and also her and Karisma are working on bringing them back to Stulifecomm.

3. Adjournment

Meeting was adjourned at 2:43 PM