You don't have to walk alone. If you feel unsafe getting from point A to Point B on campus after dark, our walking and driving teams can accompany you. Travel with a greater sense of security with Safewalk.
COVID-19 Update - august 24th
AMS Safewalk services have re-opened as of tonight. The service will be provided to anyone on campus who is feeling unsafe traveling alone.
Due to Covid-19 measures are in place for everyone’s safety, so please keep this in mind if you require our assistance.
1. All equipment will be sanitized at the start and end of each shift.
2. Safewalk teams will be operating on foot to practice social distancing.
3. Teams will only be accompanying one client at a time.
4. If you are waiting inside a building please meet the team out front when they arrive. Teams will not be going inside in order to limit unnecessary contact.
5. Staff members will be wearing masks while on shift. If you request a Safewalk we ask that you also follow this protocol as well.
6. Keep in mind that the Nest is closed at 6pm. If you are in need of assistance and don’t have a phone you can reach us by using the blue phones on campus.
If you need assistance after 2am we advise folks to contact UBC Security at 604-822-2222.
If you are experiencing an emergency please call 911.
Safewalk is a safety service designed for students, staff, families, and visitors on the UBC campus. Driving and walking teams are available to accompany anyone in need to their desired location after dusk. Safewalk prioritizes those who are vulnerable and feel unsafe traveling alone, allowing them to travel with a greater sense of security. The service is intended to give safe means of accompaniment when no other form is available.
To make use of Safewalk within operational hours you can:
- call us at (604) 822-5355
- use a UBC Blue Phone and ask for Safewalk
- drop by our office – NEST 1314
You will be asked to give your location, desired destination, contact number, first name and your student number (if applicable).
We will send a co-ed team by car or foot to accompany you to your destination. Due to travel times and a high volume of calls, we may not be able to get to you immediately so please wait for us in a safe, well-lit place.
Please read the Safewalk Usage Policy to see the dos and don’ts of accessing this service.
Wait time may vary from night to night. On busier nights wait times can be up to 45 minutes, but generally you’re looking at 15-20 minutes.
Most likely, yes. Safewalk provides a safe means of travel for many people on campus, so we may be transporting more than one person at a time.
Due to Covid-19 this will not be the case.
Safewalk operates anywhere on the UBC Endowment lands, so we will go as far as Blanca street. Please keep in mind, that if you’re calling from further away, your wait time may be a bit longer just to accommodate for the time it takes to walk or drive to you.
All comments, reviews and inquiries can be sent directly to the Safewalk Coordinator who will review them. We take client comments very seriously and will always try to respond in a timely manner.
If you are feeling unsafe getting to a party and have no friends to go with you, we’re here for you. Please keep in mind though, that our drivers have the right to refuse service to anyone who is intoxicated and cannot consent to receiving a ride.
Safewalk does not discriminate, and we aim to help anyone we can. However, employees reserve the right to deny anyone a walk if:
- They feel that the client is unable to care for themselves or consent to a trip.
- The employees or AMS property is at risk of harm.
If your friend is unable to make the call themselves, chances are they will be declined the walk.
Safewalk services must operate in a safe condition, and this case could be a liability.
There is safety in numbers and Safewalk prioritizes people who are alone and the most vulnerable.
If you’re traveling with a group but will be splitting off at a certain point and you feel unsafe, then feel free to give us a call or ask our Dispatch to set up calling points with you. They will be more than happy to call every few minutes to check in so that we know you’re safe.
Other Safety Resources
If you need assistance outside Safewalk’s operational hours, you can call the following numbers.
- Emergency: 911
- Non-Emergency: 604-224-1322