U-Pass BC

U-Pass BC

U-Pass BC

We acknowledge that many students are still facing financial hardship due to the pandemic, residing outside of Metro Vancouver while receiving online instruction, and that students who are immunocompromised are still at risk from COVID-19.

The AMS, in coordination with the GSS, UBC and the participating Metro Vancouver post-secondary institutions and student associations have come to an agreement with Translink to continue with the current exemptions and subsidies in our Return-to-Campus plan.

Deadline to apply for the U-Pass BC Exemptions:

  • AMS: Summer Term 1 or Term 1&2 AMS U-Pass BC Exemption if you’re living outside of Metro Vancouver and taking only web-oriented courses: May 27, 2022
  • AMS: Summer Term 2 AMS U-Pass Exemption opens in mid-July.
  • AMS: Deadline to apply for the financial hardship subsidy: June 10 (Opens May 25).
  • UBC:  Regular U-Pass BC Exemption (immunocompromised, disability, hold another valid transit pass, and more): TBD

What is the U-Pass BC program:

  • The U-Pass BC program is a subsidized transit pass program that provides post-secondary students with universal, accessible and affordable access to public transit across Metro Vancouver. The U-Pass BC program costs $173.40 per academic term or $43.35 per month, providing students with a full 3-Zone Pass per month.
  • To request your U-Pass BC for the month, visit the U-Pass BC website, select “University of British Columbia” as the school and log in with your CWL.

I’m on a Co-Op. Do I still need to pay for a U-Pass BC??

  • Please note that co-op students are recognized as full-time students. As a result, if you are residing in Metro Vancouver (see definition below) during your co-op term, you will be assessed and expected to pay the fee. If you are residing outside of Metro Vancouver during your co-op term, you are eligible to apply for an exemption.

I have a car. Why do I still need to pay for a U-Pass BC?

  • All post-secondary students from participating academic institutions in Metro Vancouver are required to pay the U-Pass BC fee. This pooled financial effort is the reason Translink is able to provide a cost-reduced, subsidized transit pass specifically for post-secondary students. By having everyone contribute together towards the U-Pass, students can enjoy highly subsidized and accessible public transportation.

Am not living within Metro Vancouver and all my classes are online, do I still have to pay for the U-Pass BC?

  • Students studying/living outside of Metro Vancouver (see definition below) and are enrolled in online courses exclusively have until May 27, 2022 to apply for a Special U-Pass BC Exemption.

What qualifies as Metro Vancouver:

  • As negotiated with Translink, the following regions fall under Metro Vancouver: Anmore, Belcarra, Bowen Island, Burnaby, Coquitlam, Delta, Langley (City and Township, Lions Bay, Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver (City and District), Pitt Meadows, Port Coquitlam, Port Moody, Richmond, Surrey (incl. Barnston Island), Tsawwassen First Nation, UBC, University Endowment Lands, Vancouver, West Vancouver, and White Rock.

I don’t need the U-Pass BC:

  • You can only be exempted from the U-Pass BC if you are either living outside of Metro Vancouver or if you meet the exemption eligibility criteria as outlined by UBC’s Regular U-Pass BC Exemption process.

What if I can’t afford the U-Pass BC?

  • We understand that the COVID-19 pandemic has imposed financial burdens on students, whether those are long-term or short-term burdens. Supporting our members has always been and will continue to be a priority for the AMS. You can apply for the AMS U-Pass BC Subsidy.

I’m immunocompromised and will not be using public transit this fall. How can I get exempted from U-Pass BC:

  • We recognize that the pandemic is still ongoing. As a result, we have worked in coordination with UBC to ensure that immunocompromised students are eligible for exemptions from the U-Pass BC fee. For this exemption and if you are not registered with the Centre for Accessibility, you can apply through your Student Service Centre (SSC) by selecting “U-Pass BC Exemption” under Finances.

I’ve applied for the exemption, when can I expect it to update on my SSC?

  • As we are experiencing a high volume of exemption and subsidy applications, we are processing the applications on a rolling basis. You can still pay your tuition and if/when your subsidy or exemption is approved, your SSC will be credited. We do not send out emails to applicants who have been approved. You will only receive an email if your application has been denied.

Who can you contact?