Skip to main content

Due to the current situation with COVID-19, the Nest will be closed until further notice. Update - April 3, 2020



Yes, it’s mandatory, (sorry not sorry) but you’re in a beautiful place, so start using your U-Pass for more than going home on the weekend to do your laundry. Adventure is calling!


The U-Pass gives you unlimited access to all of TransLink services, including bus routes, Skytrains, and the SeaBus. The U-Pass is a mandatory, but very popular, program for all AMS members. It costs $41.00 per month, and was re-approved by 96% of voters at the last student referendum.

To make use of the program pick up an adult Compass Card at compass retailers, such as London Drugs, or at compass vending machines located at Skytrain, SeaBus, and West Coast Express stations. You can load your card at before the 1st of every month.

How It Works

Thanks to our kick-ass negotiators, the U-Pass BC program represents a big cost saving for you. To make this happen, we mandate that all our members buy the U-Pass, and then negotiate with Translink on the basis of having thousands of members.

Your U-Pass costs $41.00, when a comparable pass would cost you $174.00. Even elementary and high school students pay more to ride the bus in Vancouver. The U-Pass is the cheapest pass of any kind that Translink offers!

All you need to do is tap-in when you enter a bus, or tap-In and tap-out when you enter and leave a station. Make sure you’re also carrying your student I.D with you or else you risk paying a penalty or having your pass taken away by transit police.


If your program of study qualifies for the U-Pass, then the university will automatically charge you for it on your financial account. To be eligible for the U-Pass you have to meet these two requirements:

  • You’re registered in full- or part-time on-campus studies with a minimum of three credits, or assessed tuition fees of more than $174/month;
  • You’re a fee-paying member of the AMS.

Exemptions & Subsidies

If you drop all your courses during the Add/Drop, and you surrender your U-Pass to Enrollment Services, you’ll get a full refund of your U-Pass fees.

You can also apply for an exemption from the program, if you meet certain criteria. You can find details on those criteria here.

If you don’t qualify for an exemption, but have financial hardship, you can apply for an AMS subsidy here.


For technical issues with your Compass Card, visit or contact Compass Customer Service Centre at (604) 398-2042.

For U-Pass inquiries, contact the AMS VP External